Sunday, April 29, 2007

Spring Cleaning

This morning for the hundredth time, I said to myself, it is about time to sort your cloth.
My closet is full of costumes, trousers and vests that I do not wear any more. They take space and I do not use them.
Maybe because of the spring and the nature getting renewed, this year, instead of saying to myself "tomorrow I'll do it", I opened the closet, took everything out, laid it on the bed and started looking at what to keep and what to give away.
With the clothes came back the memories attached to every piece. When and why it was bought. When and at which occasion it was worn.
Then suddenly the interval of the years popped in front of my eyes. Yes this suite I had it since... 15 years !!!
FIFTEEN YEARS !!! and I only wore it for two. Let me try it. The jacket is fine, and fits me well, loved the cloth and color, excellent quality. A small problem with the buttons when I try to button it, but still could if I "swallowed" my stomach. Let my try the trousers. Perfect ! Well almost, maybe I need to move that button. Prhaps if I stop eating junk food and do some exercise I could wear it again.
And that blue vest ! My first Daniel Hechter, Lovely cut. I never thought that my shoulders could become wider with age. Shall i keep it also? In case...
Let me try those summer trousers. Summer of 98, I still remember that year. they feel good but I have a feeling they are a bit tight. Should I keep them and go on a diet? 3 kilos less and they would fit.
Piece by piece, I looked at all of them. Two common denominators. I loved all of them and the memories they brought back. And they all, almost fit.
Almost.
Then something inside me said, do you think they will ever fit again? Wake-up man, after 10 or 15 years, you do not remain the same.
You can not go back to what you were, wake up !
So here I am left with two suites and one trouser. So ... naked ! In a corner, three big bags were laying on each other full of my nice suites and carrying my best souvenirs.
I will give the clothes away, but who wants my souvenirs? Who will take them? I can not keep them
I sat on the bed and thought about the politics in my country. Are we doing the same? Keeping the old costumes because they remind us of the good old days although they do not fit any more? Should we not be looking for new ones with the correct size, instead of dreaming about going on a big diet.
I raised my head and saw my face in the mirror. The mirror said what about the closet of your life ?
Maybe you should check again your hopes, dreams and projects.
I will, I will, tomorrow

1 comment:

Toks said...

Lol,

wow you are hilarious but I know that feeling when you love an outfit so much you can't bear to part with it. But alas there comes a time in everyones life when you need to let go.

Being a woman you need to do it a lot more often though.

I think I'll join you in checking out the closet of life because I think my outlook has changed a great deal in the last few years.

Why don't we make a deal you check yours and I'll check mine and then we can compare notes! Lol.

Toke